Friday, May 13, 2011

Smooth The Shakes

What do you do
when the summit is so far away
and the voice in your brain
has your nerves torn and frayed?
The alcohol in your veins
keeps your tone from turning gray,
but it stings your throat
and makes the words you wrote
bitter with betrayal;
the hand that holds the pen is frail.

But you wouldn't care
if you disintegrated into the air
or if the ground ate you up.
You've had just about enough.
Your love is out of reach
and passion you can't teach.
Another swig to smooth the shakes,
another cut to numb the aches.
Because: what difference does it make?
For our apathy, the earth will forsake.

*********************************************

This is about watching something slip through your fingers and deciding not to give a fuck because the world's going to shit anyway. Happy Friday the 13th.


By the way, rejected last lines to rhyme with "make" include:
"I fuckin' love Drake!"
"Everything you say to me takes me one step closer to the edge AND I'M ABOUT TO BREAK"

Just thought you'd like some insight into my creative process.









"You see, I'm feeling everything. Nothing gets by." - The Frames What Happens When The Heart Stops

"Am I correct to defend the first that holds this pen?" - Brand New Good To Know That If I Ever Need Attention All I Have To Do Is Die

"You waited your whole life, said you're lookin' hard for something. You look so hard and you never find nothin' and the chances run like sand in your hand..." - The Builders And The Butchers Find Me In The Air

"Prescribed pills to offset the shakes to offset the pills; you know you should take it a day at a time." - Panic! At The Disco Nails For Breakfast, Tacks For Snacks [LOL]

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Becca. Pretty poem. Sad implications.

Rebecca said...

Dear Anonymous -

Thank you, but I wish I knew who you were!


xo
- b.