Monday, November 06, 2006

The Emperor

Bombs like fireworks
stream across my starry sky.
His war leaves me paralyzed
and my home stained crimson.

You wonder where my anger is conceived
while you watch my family die.
On my beautiful desert ground
lay the corpses on my brothers.

Far and distant from this tale,
I ponder our humanity.
We know it's a big world out there,
but can we fathom the horrors we've created?

There are only so many words to write
before my protest becomes complacent.
I am stuck within a stagnant revolt
contrived of fearful, quiet, sheep.

The emperor sits on his throne
and his words change the world.
He spins the globe and points out his finger
and where it lands is now his command.

No confrontations reach his ears
nor would it matter if they did.
He is blind, deaf, and absolute,
but he is dangerously and arrogantly wrong.

So wrong.

***************************************************

^ Written during Legal Philosophy, Rights, and Justice. ^

Tuesday is Election Day. I feel like voting in this election is the least democratic thing I could possibly do, but I will vote nonetheless. This campaign season has disgusted me and I can completely understand why people chose to not vote. The only thing I really know about my choices are why they don't want me to vote for the other guy. I almost wish I could start a protest and convince the entire country to not vote. What would happen then? What would happen if literally no one came out to vote? Would that cry be loud enough to get politicians to stop throwing shit at each other and tell me things about themselves that I actually should know!? I'd like to pull our political system apart bit by bit and piece it back together in a way that would allow qualified people who aren't simply looking out for their own good to serve their country.

Have you heard? There's a new requirement to run for office now. You must be a millionaire.

Inequality effects everything in our society. Going to a poor school not only means that your education is lacking, it also means your choices in the future are lacking. But who is making decisions about education, welfare, healthcare, etc.? Rich politicians are and, while some may have the best intentions in mind - they are grossly out of touch with what it is to be from an urban area. You won't find many politicians grew up in Newark...not even Newark's current mayor grew up in Newark. You may find some, but not many. You can't even run if you don't have money...and winning is another issue all together.

I have studying to do, so I'm off.


"I ask his empire eyes what made him drive us straight to hell." -
Kevin Devine - The Burning City Smoking

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i live in australia. u have to vote. its composary. sorry about my spelling. its terrible. i often wonder what your nation would do if know one voted. perhaps then your leaders would not be so arrogant about democracy. perhaps then mine wouldnt either. then the world would change. i like your writing. i write too. thou am afraid its not good. but i like your poems. my short stories always end up with america being the bad guy. the enemy soldier. killing innocents. i am sorry. its not about americans. its about super powers. i have something against them. focus on the good aspects of my comments. your writing is good and some stupid aussie does not understand the way the yanks live. i am not even writing what i wanted to write as a comment. adieu et peace irritated.