Monday, March 26, 2007

The Emperor (Pt. 2)

The emperor sits upon his throne
guilty, but smirking and naked.
His sinister skills are his to hone
and your sons' lives aren't sacred.
Blind to the sight of their bones,
he can't see how his nation bled.
Even the newspapers groan
as he fiddles with the crown upon his head.

"The globe is my backyard,"
the emperor proudly gloats.
"I'll catch 'em evil ones, feathered and tarred,"
his adviser jots his notes.
All voices of reason are barred,
abandon your rights through your votes.
For those who oppose him, life is hard,
but if he says it floats, it floats.

God knocks on the palace door,
weeping with head in hand.
His long robe grazes the floor:
His being mixes with His land.
God pleads: "What is this for?
Why is there blood in my sand!?"
God's cry, the emperor did ignore:
"Go home, old man, you don't understand."

***************************************************

^ Written in Comparative Politics over two class periods. ^

I think I mentioned earlier that the emperor would probably reappear. Promise kept.

My short story has taken a lot out of me. It's coming along well, but it's kind of been consuming me. It should be done within the next couple of weeks if I have time to sit down and actually write all my ideas out. My poetry isn't as much my personal reflection right now, but things I'm not focusing on with the story. Politics is often the focus of my poetry now, since my story is taking a lot of my other thoughts away. I enjoy writing about politics, but my freewriting is always better. I kind of like this one, though...better than the first one at least.

I gotta get ready for class, but today is my 21st birthday...so happy birthday, me!



"You wear a crucifix to broadcast your beliefs and the God I've read about won't go where he's not asked to go..." Kevin Devine Tomorrow's Just Too Late

No comments: