Friday, September 21, 2007

Auburn

The faint smell of rain
gets sucked up my nostrils:
fell two days prior,
moistened the soil.

Threatening buzz of bees
circle above my head:
scares passersby,
lands on dying blossoms.

A hidden sun peaks
from between clouds:
burns my eyes,
but warms my skin.

A young fall breeze
blows over sunburned rooftops:
bites the tips of my figures,
brushes through my hair.

Grasping onto weak branches,
old leaves rustle and turn:
green to brown, green to brown,
and yellow, and orange, and auburn.

****************************************************

^ First poetry assignement for Creative Writing. ^

I'm taking an intro Creative Writing class this semester...mainly because the intro class is required before you're allowed to register for upper level creative writing classes. This was our first real assignment: a nature image poem. [There was an assignment before this and I wrote a two page short story that was good for what it was, but didn't really say anything sophisticated or intellectual. It was a fake memoir of a futurist country singer explaining how Kenny Chesney inspired her to become a musician. How that became the plot is a long story, but it was part of the assignment and not how I would have written it outside class restraints.]

Anyway, I'm not really a fan of writing nature poems and I think that comes across by how...bad...this is. I went back and forth about whether to post it here publicly, but since I haven't been writing a lot of poetry (with my short story monopolizing what little writing time I have), I figured I'd post - at least - the poetry I write for this class. I also really like the second poem I just wrote for this class and I actually want to post that one.

This poem was written last weekend on the way to Philly for the Brian Bonz show. I wrote it on Milo and emailed it to myself. Haha. (Hey...you see nature when you're driving around! It would have been harder to write if I'd been inside at my desk!)

We'll also be writing a short story and a play for this class and, depending on what kind of restraints are placed on us, I may post them here. In other words: if I can write a story and/or a play about what I want to write about and I like how it comes out, I'll post it. Haha. If we can write a story about anything, I'll probably use the story I'm in the process of writing so I'll have ample time to finish it while, also, telling my parents it's for school and not just me writing for fun while avoiding doing homework.


"I got an attitude of need. Help me stay awake: I'm falling...asleep in perfect blue buildings, beside the green apple sea. Gonna get me a little oblivion, baby. Try to keep myself away from me." Counting Crows Perfect Blue Buildings

No comments: