Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Socks And Gloves

Tell me: what are your scars?
Do you drink them down at bars?
Do they sleep where your lovers are?
Do they follow you near and far?

Tell me: who holds your blade?
Do you know who lurks behind the shade?
Do they cut so deep it'll never fade?
Do they grant forgiveness you never bade?

Tell me: what are your vices?
Do you think you'll make the same mistake twice?
Do they heckle you, even when they're nice.
Do they freeze your skin cold as ice?

Tell me: what quiets the rage?
Do you learn to understand with age?
Do they leave you locked within your cage?
Do they ever let you discard that page?

Tell me: who could you love?
Does she fly away with doves?
Does she press, push, and shove?
Can you hide regrets from her under socks and gloves?

************************************

Even though I used this quote last time, in recent weeks this line / song has been rattling around in my head. Since I stole it for this poem, here it is again:

"Can't you ever treat anyone nice? I think I'm gonna make the same mistake twice, gonna make the same mistake twice." Elliott Smith Punch And Judy

No comments: