Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Your Apocalypse

Your apocalypse came and went,
showered down the innocent.
Your pristine haven
with your god still saving
souls and damning saints.
I hear a whisper; it's faint
and it keeps my head spinning
while God is grinning
a magnificent, mischievous grin
because there's no consequence for His sin.
He sunbathes on a cloud
and can't hear us crying so loud
while Jesus writes dirty poetry
and hides it where no one can see.
A happy literate is he
and his words are for free.
But you'll manage to mangle them,
destroy, wreck, and tangle them
so you'll never listen
to his proud and peaceful sermon.
It's your own fault for throwing it away.
It's your own fault for what you won't say.
And you'll grieve when you hear
the horseman's horse galloping near,
but you'll know in your heart
that you brought about the start.
The fire's heat sticks
and the devil's pitchfork pricks
against your back
for the conviction you lack.
Don't claim your piety now
for Love to whom you never did vow.

*****************************************

At my local Starbucks, there was a book entitled "Jesus With Dirty Feet" sitting on a little book shelf. I misread the title for a brief moment as "Jesus Writes Dirty Poetry." Don't ask me how. The spine of the book was wrecked, so the only words I could really make out were "Jesus" and "Dirty." I was a little disappointed when I saw I was wrong. So, it became the basis for this poem. I liked the idea. Jesus was a hippie-ish figure, afterall. I could see him writing dirty poetry and hiding it from Pop. God in this poem is the Old Testament 'fire and brimstone' sort of God and Jesus is supposed to represent a softer figure who is then - naturally - misunderstood; his words turned upside down and interpreted into garbage he never intended. Maybe this is my brief history of the Christian faith. Maybe.





"There's hell upon a breeze; there's hell upon a breeze. Six riders ride..." AA Bondy How Will You Meet Your End?

1 comment:

CHARLAX said...

On I Am Daniel
http://poetrypoem.com/cgi-bin/index.pl?poemnumber=872495&sitename=charlax&password=&poemoffset=0&displaypoem=t&item=poetry
On I Am Daniel
AN Poet explanation.

If King Darius was speaking thus it meant that he was thinking of poor Daniel in that cave and it could very well have come from him speaking to hisself to his inner conscience and so the reader can decide to read this verse as if KING Darius speaks it first…

Darius Speaking?

My heart so troubled earlier and earnestly seeking deliverance is now at rest and I can be blessed in every circumstance because I kept the faith of GOD a test but not from him to us this test is testing no one least of all this Daniel. The lions do not roar.

Or Daniel Thinking?

And if the speaker now is DANIEL then self evidence assured
He was wondering out loud and marveling at his creator action that his creator would deliver him.
I am Daniel is at livejournal