Wednesday, September 13, 2006

We Used To Talk About God

What has your arrogance proven?
Where has your stubbornness lead us?
To dead sons greeted by empty rooms
and split families who bleed red or blue.

What have we learned?
Where is the silver lining?
In the notion that peace rides the backs of missiles
and terror can be squelched with a signature?

What good have you done?
Where has your ignorance stranded us?
Into a nation built on top of bodies and bombs
where walking down the street is criminal.

What have your promises brought?
And where can I find solace?
In the words of a God whose name you throw around
while killing His children in their sleep?

What cause have we to be enraged?
Where has our humanity hidden?
Behind the glassy infant eyes of a blind nation
whose vengeful nature caught us red handed.

What comfort can I find without resolution?
Where can I reconcile these disillusions?
In the voices of my leaders
or in those sympathetic cries that haunt my daydreams?

**********************************************

Maybe I'm too harsh. Maybe I'm not harsh enough. Maybe I talk too much and act too little. Maybe we really should revolt. All I know is the semester is one week old and I'm already angry. I don't stay glued to the news, but I'm informed enough to know how fucked up everything is and I know I'm not powerless, but on the other hand, I also don't know how to empower myself or what good the atempt would do. Or maybe I do know and I'm just too cowardly. I don't know. This country has split. Friends can't talk about world events without literally becoming enraged (even if they agree with each other). Guns and bombs aren't going to fix a Goddamn thing! They hate us because of our wealth and our arrogance. We're just feeding the fucking fire!

I'm so tired of feeling guilt over this. Plus, I have no proof that another president would have acted any better. I mean, I have reason to believe there was a better guy for the job, but that doesn't mean things would have gotten any better. The truth is, it's a mess. It has been for centuries. We're there and we can't fix that now.

So...where to from here?



"We used to talk about God and I know this is not about blame. This time it's my fault." The Miracle Of '86 A Less Important Place

No comments: