Friday, December 19, 2014

Most Notably


I once saw you
in the dim dawn.
Our minutes were few
and then you were gone

to the wrong coast,
you feckless ghost.

And I
in my shell
believed the lie,
believed it well.

The hours passed,
but I never asked.

You held my strings.
You've seen my hand.
You know everything
I don't understand.

But you're a memory,
a suicidal accessory.

And so I sing
and so I walk
and so I cling
and wring and balk.

And so I write verses
that turn into curses.

Because you are such
bad poetry
Yet, I still clutch,
most notably,

to your sleeve
as you leave.
 

**********************************************

I'm sorry that I rhyme "versus" with "curses" in two of my last three poems, but I really like that pairing. 







"You look at me like I'm some kind of carnival attraction. You say love's this abstraction, just some ghost that you chase." Counting Crows Earthquake Driver

"There's a hole in the ceiling down through which I fell. There's a girl in the basement coming out of her shell. And there are people who will say they knew me so well - I may not go to heaven, but I hope that you go to hell!" Counting Crows St. Robinson and his Cadillac Dream

"And all my friends told me, 'You don’t need laws to tell that if it feels like fallin’, boy, you probably already fell. The whole table saw your hand. So, you might as well just play it - and you ain’t fooling anyone - so you might as well just say it...'  So, I guess I’m in love. I guess I’m in love." - Counting Crows (but really Kasey Anderson and the Honkies) Like Teenage Gravity

"She's accustomed to hearing that she could never run far...a slipped disc in the spine of community, a bloody curse word made pedestrian verse." Frightened Rabbit State Hospital

"I spoke bad poetry." Sunny Day Real Estate 5/4

No comments: