Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Your Lungs, My Dear

I was waiting there for Quiet,
but she stood me up.
So, the wind cried through my windows
and the snow stomped on the ground
and, even with the lights turned off,
I could hear the taunting bulbs.

I looked around for Quiet.
Maybe she just got lost.
My carpet roared;
my pillows snored;
my drawers yelled
at my socks.

Quiet wasn't in my notebook
or folded in my sheets.
She wasn't hiding in my closet.
She wasn't swimming in my pen.
She might be in your smile, though.
I sorta see her there.

I think she's in your lungs, my dear.
I think she's in our air.

********************************************************











"The quiet can scrape all the calm from your bones, but maybe it should, maybe we need to be hollowed to get up and grow and stop fucking around, to kick off our braces and start straightening out. Let's sift through the static to find a simpler sound Let's sift through the static to find a simpler sound..." Kevin Devine Cotton Crush

"The morning's hot and harsh. My notebook fills itself. The words come thick with sweat, but it feels like someone else is writing all of this: someone I just can't believe. So, I mop my brow, set my pen back down. I'm still me, still me." Kevin Devine Just Stay

"Black lungs, took you in when you were young,  and everyone around you, saw their sins so you measured up, and you wanted to find out, just how far you could go, all i wanted was a real you, am I getting through?" The New Frontiers Black Lung

No comments: